[Soekris] JP7 (com1) on net6501

Hendrickson, Kenneth khendr01 at harris.com
Fri Jun 30 21:38:29 CEST 2017

> OpenBSD can't seem to find my second RS232 port.
> Nor does it seem to work with FreeBSD.

If the hardware is there, both OpenBSD and FreeBSD should find it and announce it while booting, and in the dmesg.

> Or do I have broken hardware?

You might have a "bad" cable -- not bad as in defective, but bad as in incorrect.  It turns out there are two "standard" wiring pinouts from the 10-pin board headers to the 9-pin DB-9 connector.  Find out which one you have.  Then buy a cable for the other standard, and try it.

Ken