[Soekris] spontaneous reboot with large packet flows on net5501+lan1741

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Tue Feb 17 20:02:05 CET 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 01:37:51PM -0500, Andrew Atrens wrote:
> Hi Nix,
>
> It's almost certainly a power issue as power draw for the lan card will not
> be a static thing - ie will increase when transmitting packets vs idle.

That's an intersting theory. I also run an external nic in the PCI
slot of a Net5501-60. In my case the OS is OpenBSD 5.5 and the nic
card is an Intel dual Gigabit PCI-X unit. I also experience reboots of
this configuration under high packet flows. In my case though my
machine is in the Net5501 rack mount case with the 5.0A power supply.

I will arrange to test by swapping to a newer 5501 rack mount case and
retesting.

Thanks

-- Chris