[Soekris] spontaneous reboot with large packet flows on net5501+lan1741

Andrew Atrens andrew at atrens.ca
Tue Feb 17 19:37:51 CET 2015

Hi Nix,

It's almost certainly a power issue as power draw for the lan card will
not be a static thing - ie will increase when transmitting packets vs idle.

Best case is that you have access to a DC-regulated power supply,
perhaps one of these -

http://www.bkprecision.com/products/power-supplies/1670A-triple-output-30v-3a-digital-display-dc-power-supply.html

and can monitor the current draw as you bring up the board and test ..

If the setup is stable on this power source, you can watch how much
current the 5501 is drawing and from that figure out how much punch
you'll need in a static power source.

Good luck!

--Andrew