[Soekris] general impressions of network throughput

Alex Pilon alp at alexpilon.ca
Tue Mar 18 18:12:52 CET 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 08:22:00AM +0100, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> I have a 5501, and my ISP upgraded my VDSL2 line to 25.5Mbit/s a couple
> of months ago. The box runs Debian Wheezy. It terminates the PPPoE link
> so that the DSL modem's IP stack is not exposed to the internet.

Are you using the in-kernel PPPoE, or the userspace implementation of
RP-PPPoE?

On another note, I managed to achieve ~94 Mbits/second over plain
Ethernet. Both boxes running Arch Linux, custom kernels, one not a
Soekris and highly unlikely CPU-bound, running 3.13.6, the other a 5501
with a rather stripped 3.11.3.

I have two ISPs (both 2.5Mbit DSL, and “25”Mbit cable) and I'm rather
willing to bet that it's not my router that's the issue usually.

> - the box was getting just too crashy under load;

Unfortunately 177 reboots since April first. 30s watchdog. Haven't
isolated the cause for failure.

Regards,

Alex Pilon