[Soekris] 6501 with OpenBSD as firewall

ED Fochler soekris at liquidbinary.com
Mon Mar 17 00:43:47 CET 2014

Nikola, I think your tjmax assumption may be off by 10, skewing your sysctl results.

My 6501 box(es) run at 65-68C typically, rackmounted with 1U above and below each, in a 25C room, running PFSense.  That being said, yeah, they run a little hotter than I’d like.  I’m probably going to buy $10 30mm fans for them.

As for performance: for 50Mb fiber, the 6501 load is laughably low running PFSense.  My 5501 OpenBSD router maxes out around 30Mb doing encryption like AES or SSH, otherwise holds close to 100Mb hardware max for just packet traffic.

	ED.