[Soekris] net6501 won't start anymore

Eivind Eide xenofil at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 14:34:12 CEST 2013

Sorry list. It seems a redesigned gmail webmail had found yet
another way too fool me into sending email as HTML. I hope that I now
found the right button to send as plain text. So I do the boring task
of resending the orignal message, hopefully as plain text this time:

I purchased a net 6501-30 autumn 2011 from Soekris Europe. It's been
working nicely for me after bios with usb boot code was in place.
I'm running ComBIOS 1.41c and boot OpenBSD from a low profile USB stick.

However this is not a boot problem, it's a board start problem.
Some time ago, after power recycling, which always went well before, the
box didn't boot up and only the green power led and the red error led
was lit. I then tried to press the reset button and the box continued to
boot as normally. Because of occasional need for power cycling this
happened a couple more times, then the other day after power cycling it
wouldn't start anymore at all. And now pressing the reset button does
nothing, except the four interface leds flash a fragment of a moment,
and then back to only green power led and red error led lit.

It stops before ComBIOS, there are no output to the serial console
whatsoever (and I have had no problems getting the serial console to
work before, so that's not it). So no disk problem  or such, the box
don't even get to POST.

Where do I proceed from here? Any thoughts? Grateful for any ideas...

--

Eivind Eide

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
- Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts