[Soekris] pfSense on Net6501 hangs during boot

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Sun Sep 15 14:55:03 CEST 2013

[26/09/2012] wrote:
 >Hi all,
 >after following all the recent discussions about pfSense on here, I
thought it sounded quite interesting and wanted to try it out and see
how I like it - >which is probably quite an interesting idea especially
since at this time, I honestly don't know a thing about BSD-based
systems just yet.
 >Since I wanted pfSense to boot from the internal MSATA flash module
and not from a USB stick, I did the following:
 >1. Downloaded the file pfSense-2.0.1-RELEASE-4g-i386-nanobsd.img.gz
 >2. Copied the file to a USB stick.
 >3. PXE-booted the Debian installer in rescue mode, so I could get to a
shell on the Net6501.
 >4. Mounted the USB stick and copied the image file to the flash module
using zcat and dd.
 >5. Changed Baud rate to 9600 in Com BIOS.
 >6. Rebooted and saw that FreeBSD was booting on the console.
 >Unfortunately, the boot process seems to hang. The last output I get
is this:
 >Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
 >After that, there is no more input on the serial console whatsoever -
no error messages or anything like that. What am I doing wrong?
 >Thanks for any help from all you pfSense experts! :-)
 >Robin
 >-------------- next part --------------
 >An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

I've just done a install to a SSD on a 6501-70 and I'm hanging at the
same point when trying to boot off the SSD

i.e. it hangs at:

Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...               .
-

I was wondering if you managed to fix your problem and could give any
pointers?

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS