[Soekris] Debian Squeeze on Soekris

Michael Stone mstone+soekris at mathom.us
Mon Nov 25 15:46:43 CET 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 11:12:57AM -0500, Dean Maluski wrote:
>One concern I have is this Debian Squeeze installation ftp site becoming
>obsolete and discarded.

archive.debian.org has all debian releases (dating to 1995) available
for download, so this concern is probably unwarranted for ordinary
purposes. (when squeeze is EOL, just point to archive.debian.org rather
than ftp.debian.org or whatever.)

>My questions is how do I download all packages, build my own install
>site and live in a vacuum?

That said, you can see http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror for
information on creating a mirror. This may be appropriate, e.g., if
you're intending to support something commercially for an extended
period. In general, and especially if this is for limited personal use,
mirroring the entire archive is a pretty big waste of the source's
bandwidth. See also the apt-mirror package.

Mike Stone