[Soekris] pfSense on Net6501 hangs during boot

Robin Kipp mlists at robin-kipp.net
Wed Sep 26 19:49:21 UTC 2012

Hi all,
after following all the recent discussions about pfSense on here, I thought it sounded quite interesting and wanted to try it out and see how I like it - which is probably quite an interesting idea especially since at this time, I honestly don't know a thing about BSD-based systems just yet.
Since I wanted pfSense to boot from the internal MSATA flash module and not from a USB stick, I did the following:
1. Downloaded the file pfSense-2.0.1-RELEASE-4g-i386-nanobsd.img.gz
2. Copied the file to a USB stick.
3. PXE-booted the Debian installer in rescue mode, so I could get to a shell on the Net6501.
4. Mounted the USB stick and copied the image file to the flash module using zcat and dd.
5. Changed Baud rate to 9600 in Com BIOS.
6. Rebooted and saw that FreeBSD was booting on the console.
Unfortunately, the boot process seems to hang. The last output I get is this:
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
After that, there is no more input on the serial console whatsoever - no error messages or anything like that. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help from all you pfSense experts! :-)
Robin