[Soekris] Net 5501 -- Voyage Linux CF not recognized by BIOS

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 15:18:10 UTC 2012

I have installed Voyage Linux on 0.8.5 [a] on two CF cards (256MB, and
4GB).  There is only one partition /dev/sda1, Grub is the boot loader.

[a] Derivative of Debian Testing.

The install process goes fine i.e. no error message on the screen.

On my laptop, fdisk -l shows the the partitions on the CF.

When I put the CF cards in the net5501, it fails to recognize the cards.

The BIOS times out and goes to PXE boot; it fails as there is no
ethernet connection to the device and then this is the last part of
the display on the serial console.

<screenshot>

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No Boot device available, enter monitor.

comBIOS Monitor.   Press ? for help.

</screenshot>

I have installed other distros on these CF cards and they work fine on
the ALIX platform,
so I am pretty sure the CF cards are not the problem.

Any pointers as what could be the problem highly appreciated.

Has anyone been able to boot Debian Squeeze (2.6.32) distro on Soekris 5501?

Thanks,
-- Arun Khan