[Soekris] Soekris boxen are not silent

Bob Bishop rb at gid.co.uk
Fri Jun 15 07:27:03 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 14 Jun 2012, at 19:29, Jan Ceuleers wrote:

> On 06/14/2012 08:08 PM, Bob Bishop wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You (and the other consenting contributors to this thread) are lucky to have hearing good enough to hear these effects. Make the most of it, it won't last.
>
> You don't understand. I'm in my late 40s, and in my teens I was a sound
> equipment rental guy. As a result I've got hearing problems.
>
> And yet I still hear the Soekris box hissing. From 5 meters away, with a
> TV and a piece of furniture in the way. So if I can hear it it's not quiet.

I have to say I've never experienced this working with these boxes over many years, but maybe I've just never noticed. OK, back to the OQ then. A couple of questions:

- Exactly what do you have plugged into the Soekris board? Ie, is it supplying power to other stuff? If so, what is the total load?
- What sort of case is it in? The standard box, or something else?
- If it's in a steel box, does the bare board (with any extras but minus its case) still make the noise or is the noise actually coming from the case?

--
Bob Bishop
rb at gid.co.uk