[Soekris] Soekris boxes are not silent

Stanislav Meduna stano at meduna.org
Sun Jun 10 12:34:09 UTC 2012

On 10.06.2012 11:05, Jan Ceuleers wrote:

> The hissing is louder if the network traffic involves the wireless card
> than if it doesn't (Atheros AR922X), but there is also hissing for
> purely wired network traffic.

99% of the time the hissing comes from some inductance in a power supply
circuit, changing sound as the power needs (both absolute and structure)
change. Depending on mechanical tolerances the same part can be louder
or quiter.

There is not much one can do about it. If the surface of the winding
is accessible one can try to tighten a sewing thread around it. There
are also impregnating solutions, but I doubt they can be reasonably
used on parts already soldered in the board.

Regards
--
                                       Stano