[Soekris] Soekris boxen are not silent

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Sun Jun 10 06:15:28 UTC 2012

Hi.

I've been using net4801s and a net5501 as broadband routers for use at
home for some time now.

Generally great and fun. There's just one down side: these boxes are not
completely silent, in that they make a strange hissing sound while
they're doing actual work (like routing network traffic). I therefore
can't really use these boxes for workloads that pump a constant or
pulsating amount of traffic through them because the hissing (even
though its really not that loud) would drive me bonkers.

So here's a sanity check: are my boxes the only-ones doing this?

What's causing it? I thought it was the CPU but given that the 4801s and
the 5501 have a different CPU (OK so they're both Geodes) I was thinking
perhaps not?

Is there anything I can do to stop the hissing? Of course I'm aware of
the wondrous effects of noise insulation afforded by putting boxes in a
different room than where I am; not what I'm asking.

Thanks, Jan