[Soekris] Crypto H/W acceleration on net6501

Soren Kristensen soren at soekris.com
Mon Sep 12 17:45:37 UTC 2011

Hi John & List

John Mok wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On the coming net6501, would it help to install crypto acceleration
> module, like vpn1401, or the CPU is powerful enough to do it all without
> any add-on module? Is there any slot-module match to be useful?

I have though about it but:

A MiniPCIe card would be too low volume to warrant the engineering cost,
and thoughout the lifetime of the current vpn cards we have been
fighting with driver availability and driver quality....

Suitable chips would be the 8200 series from HiFn (now Exar), and they
already offer the DX 1710 PCIe board. So unless somebody comes by and
want a lot of boards....

And the next net7501 will do wirespeed gigabit ethernet encryption as
standard.... Don't ask for more details as it's NDA stuff, just let me
say it will be based on a new chipset from a major x86 processor
manufacturer and I already have an evaluation board with that chipset in
my hands.... The net7501 is going to reuse a lot of "building blocks"
from the net6501, to be launched sometimes in Q2'2012, and the price
will be reasonable.

Best Regards,

Soren Kristensen

CEO & Chief Engineer