[Soekris] Pyamyd login fails

Jed Clear jclear at speakeasy.net
Fri Apr 22 22:08:05 UTC 2011

On Apr 20, 2011, at 10:14 AM, l.rinetti at movimatica.com wrote:
After i boot Pyramid "Metrix Pebble/Linux 0.9" in my Soekris net4801
> from compact flash, the system prompts:
> pyramid login:
> i enter root but the reply is:
>
> pyramid login: root
> Metrix Pebble/Linux 0.9 pyramid ttyS0
> pyramid login:
>
> and so on, and i am not able to enter in the system.
>
> Can you help me ?

You'll probably get better results asking this in a Pyramid or Linux forum, but I'll give it a shot anyway.  Note that I use FreeBSD, but the Unix login process is fairly similar.  YMMV.

Something is missing that the login needs to authenticate root and successfully start a shell.  Given that it never prompts for the password, I'd check /etc/passwd and all it's adjuncts which vary by OS (some use /etc/shadow, /etc/master.passwd). Make sure the root entry isn't garbled.   You could also be missing the root shell, but I don't think you're getting that far.  Or the permissions are wrong on any of these.

Hmm, maybe even the "login" executable if it's getty that supplies the prompt.  Not quite sure of the division of labor there.  If you have Pyramid running on something else try "man login" for clues and take note of the files listed toward the end.

Not sure if Linux uses this, but check /etc/ttys and make sure the console line is marked secure, otherwise direct root login isn't permitted.

Try booting to single user, or mount the CF on another system, to check all this.

Good luck,

-Jed