[Soekris] Soekris -vs- Cisco ASA, etc.

Ed Flecko edflecko at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:48:42 UTC 2011

Hi folks,
Some of you that are members of this newsgroup and that use the
Soekris devices are, I'm sure, truly experts in network security.

I would be interested in hearing your feedback of how a properly
set-up and configured Soekris (using OpenBSD and PF as the OS) device
stacks up against say, the Cisco ASA series firewalls and/or any other
commercial firewall for that matter. I use the Cisco ASA as an
example, only because it's perhaps one of the best known.

1.) Are there any obvious pros/cons of the capabilities of either
device, or can the Soekris pretty much do anything that an Enterprise
firewall would need to do? I'm sure the Soekris is probably much
cheaper?

2.) Do any of you use a Soekris in an Enterprise environment now? How
many end users are in your organization and/or how much traffic flows
through it?

3.) What about reliability? Since the Soekris runs OBSD, it can be
configured (with CARP, right?) to be redundant with another Soekris,
right?

Comments???

Thank you,
Ed