[Soekris] What's the difference between OpenSoekris and flashrd?

Ed Flecko edflecko at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 20:23:56 UTC 2011

Hi folks,
As I look at the various ways of setting up my 4501, some of you
(thank you!) pointed me to the flashrd website.

I'm trying to "wrap my head around":

1.) What's the difference between the OpenSoekris and flashrd?

I "think" they're basically just scripts that you run on an existing
OpenBSD install to create an image that can then be written to your
CF, is that right? I found the following instructions at:
http://www.nmedia.net/flashrd/install.html

    cd ~
    tar xzf flashrd-YYYYMMDD.tar.gz
    cd flashrd-YYYYMMDD
    ./flashrd -disk sd2 /tmp/openbsd
    ./cfgflashrd -disk sd2 -rdroot szez-ARCH.DATE

2.) Am I right so far?

Once you've written the image to your CF, you just plug it back into
your Soekris (I'm guessing), but how do you actually configure the
Soekris (i.e., set up NIC interfaces, configure PF, etc.)?

3.) Do you, somehow, configure your image in advance of writing it to
the CF or you do that after you've written it to the flash???

I'm confused about this process, so if someone could shed a little
light on the steps that need to be taken, that would be great!

Thank you,
Ed