[Soekris] *BSD vs Linux

Stanislav Meduna stano at meduna.org
Thu Apr 14 15:40:18 UTC 2011

On 14.04.2011 17:05, Steve Clark wrote:

>> Here is why _we_ use *BSD:  Because the license matters for us.  The GPL
>> mandates to make changes public again, publish source code and such.
>> The BSD license has no such requirments.  It usually just says keep the
>> copright intact.  That is very liberal and useful for when we do
>> embedded stuff.
>>
>> So for a start, compare the GPL and the BSD/ISC/MIT licenses, and you
>> will spot differences.
>
> I guess that attitude is ok if you always want to be a taker and never a giver.

Bullsh*t. That attitude simply says that I don't agree with
FSF claiming right to all of my source, if I ever happen to include
one of their header-files. It does not say _anything_ of whether
and how much one contributes.

eCos has got this right. GPL for the system itself, but including
headers and linking statically or dynamically does not constitute
derived work.

Regards
--
                            Stano