[Soekris] Life expectancy of a compact flash?

Dennis Jørgensen dnj at x.dtu.dk
Wed Apr 13 16:45:28 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-12 20:34, Ed Flecko wrote:
> Hi folks,
> When reading posts about setting up a Soekris using a compact flash, I
> see a lot of people saying that a compact flash cannot withstand a lot
> of writing before failing.
>
> 1.) Is that true? How much is "a lot" of writing? (My 4501 is for my
> tiny, home network)

Anecdotal, but I've lost a CF card in a 5501 (acting as a home
mail/web/fileserver and router, running Linux) after a bit over a year
of service. It was supposed to have had the filesystem split according
to write activity between a regular harddrive and the CF card, but by
mistake /var/log was on the CF card.

A couple lines of log where added by each spammer that drove by, and
every time another system checked that services where up. So write
activity was more than once a minute, but probably not once a second.

Regards

   Dennis Jørgensen