[Soekris] Life expectancy of a compact flash?

Esa Karkkainen ejk at iki.fi
Tue Apr 12 20:35:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:51:46AM -0700, Bryan Irvine wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Ed Flecko <edflecko at gmail.com> wrote:
> I picked up a used 4801 a while ago, loaded a full install of openbsd
> on it to test just exactly that.   I didn't care if it fried the card
> in a month or 2, or 6.  It's been running now for over a year with no
> problems at all. I've used it exactly the same way I would if it had a
> disk in it. I'm not using any ramdisk trickery at all. It's completely
> stock.

I bought 16 GB Sandisk CF on November 2009, and restored
backups from a broken hard disk to the CF.

So this net4801 has full FreeBSD installation on the CF card.

I've been running this net4801 since then, non stop, updating FreeBSD
and installed ports when needed.

The system writes logs to /var filesystem, anywhere between
1 - 16 megabytes per day, usually more than 10MB per day.

The logs are rotated and compressed.

The total usage of the CF is quite low, it is below 7% at the moment.

By total usage I mean total sum of Used from df and swapinfo divided by
total sum of blocks shown by df and swapinfo.

The /var fs Capacity is 14% at the moment.

So my 0,02 euro advice is: buy a large CF and leave lots of free
space to the CF and to the filesystems.

--
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."