[Soekris] Life expectancy of a compact flash?

Steve Clark sclark at netwolves.com
Tue Apr 12 19:15:29 UTC 2011

On 04/12/2011 02:52 PM, Javier Reyna Padilla wrote:
> You use ram disks for the partitions with write activities, for
> example /etc and /var   if you want to use FBSD you can use NanoBSD
>
> 2011/4/12 Nick Knight<nick at omniis.com>
>> I think it is in the order of 100,000 writes, reads are not an issue.
>> So with linux atime, you can very quickly get there.
>>
>> I have a linux distro based on bering, which creates a ram disk and
>> loads all os into that on boot. config is then written out to flash
>> via a command.
>>
>> Log files are then created in the ram disk - which does mean that
>> reboots they are lost but has never been a real issue for me. I tend
>> to use SNMP to see what the boxes are doing.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Ed Flecko<edflecko at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>> When reading posts about setting up a Soekris using a compact flash, I
>>> see a lot of people saying that a compact flash cannot withstand a lot
>>> of writing before failing.
>>>
>>> 1.) Is that true? How much is "a lot" of writing? (My 4501 is for my
>>> tiny, home network)
>>>
>>> 2.) How do you set up an OS (either OBSD or FBSD) to NOT write to a CF???
>>>
>>> 3.) If you set it up to not write to your CF, how does your Soekris
>>> manage to create log files???
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Ed

FBSD has some values you can put in your /etc/rc.conf that automatically will create a
tmp and var dir for you on a memory files system.

tmpmfs="AUTO"           # Set to YES to always create an mfs /tmp, NO to never
tmpsize="20m"           # Size of mfs /tmp if created
tmpmfs_flags="-S -M"    # Extra mdmfs options for the mfs /tmp
varmfs="AUTO"           # Set to YES to always create an mfs /var, NO to never
varsize="32m"           # Size of mfs /var if created
varmfs_flags="-S -M"    # Extra mount options for the mfs /var
populate_var="AUTO"     # Set to YES to always (re)populate /var, NO to never
--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*
Email: steve.clark at netwolves.com