[Soekris] Boot from flash (maype)

loppefaaret loppefaaret at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 14:03:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Bob Bishop <rb at gid.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 8 Apr 2011, at 11:17, l.rinetti at movimatica.com wrote:
>
>> With my Soekris net4801 i try to boot from a 2GB Flash with the 1.33 BIOS setup as:
>>
>> ConSpeed = 19200
>> ConLock = Enabled
>> ConMute = Disabled
>> BIOSentry = Enabled
>> PCIROMS = Enabled
>> PXEBoot = Enabled
>> FLASH = Secondary
>
> You need FLASH = Primary, or ...
>
>> BootDelay = 5
>> FastBoot = Disabled
>> BootPartition = Disabled
>> BootDrive = 80 81 F0 FF
>
> ... if you want to keep flash as secondary, set BootDrive = 81 80 F0 FF
>
>> ShowPCI = Enabled
>> Reset = Hard
>> CpuSpeed = Default
>>
>> but the boot ofshow:
>>
>>   Booting 'Metrix'
>>
>> root (hd1,0)
>>  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83
>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-metrix root=/dev/hdb1 console=ttyS0,9600n8
>>
>> Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
>>
>> Press any key to continue...
>>
>> Someone has worked with a Soekris net4801 booting from CF ? What parameters in the BIOS
>> let the Soekris boot directly fron the CF ? I try various combinations without success.
>>
>> Regards
>> --
>> Luciano Rinetti
>> mail
>> l.rinetti at movimatica.com
>>
>> Mob. 335.7878.602
>>
>> Movimatica S.r.l.
>>
>> www.movimatica.com - info at movimatica.com

> --
> Bob Bishop          +44 (0)118 940 1243
> rb at gid.co.uk    fax +44 (0)118 940 1295
>             mobile +44 (0)783 626 4518

you have the soekris bios baudrate at  ConSpeed = 19200
and the OS ur booting seems to be  console=ttyS0,9600n8

my suggestion is that u do a "set ConSpeed 9600" at the bios of the
soekris, and set ur controlling program to 9600...
although some program are able to detect baud changes, sometimes it
just doesnt work..

and when i boot from flash, i have flash = secondary & boot = 81 80 F0 FF

it also seems like you have a preloaded OS on the flash, meaning, you
take the card out of the soekris and mount in another machine, and
write an image or manually add the files to the flashdrive. and it
such a case, you have to make sure that both the preloading machine
and the soekris sees the same CHS values of the card, otherwise the
partitions are not going to be aligned correctly.