[Soekris] net5501 and a PCI sound card - too little power?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Mon May 25 10:51:32 UTC 2009

Hi folks, it's been a while, so I'll include some context:

> > > I wanted to install a PCI 2.1 sound card (TerraTec Aureon 5.1)
> > > into my net5501. Unfortunately, after seating the card, when
> > > I plugged in the power, the power and error LED briefly lit up
> > > and then off again, and the box would not start. After I had
> > > removed the card, the box worked as before.
> >
> > Inadequate power supply?
>
> That could well be. We are using the 1.5A power supply, and the
> box has a 8Gb flash card, two ethernet ports are used, a USB hub
> is connected, and well, the PCI card... Since the MiniPCI slot is
> unused, and we do not use any other headers on the board, I am
> somewhat reluctant to accept that this box is "fully loaded",
> which is what the requirements for the 3A power supply seem to be.

I obtained a 40W, 3.3A power supply and tried again, but the
symptoms stayed exactly the same.

also sprach Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> [2009.04.21.0621 +0200]:
> 12volt power supplies are a dime a dozen. you just need something
> with a higher rated load than the current one...
>
> Sound cards particularly audiophile or professional one's like the
> one mentioned can have have some heathly sized caps in front of
> the power supply for the pre-amp stage, so the card may simply
> pull to much current at startup and might otherwise be lightly
> loaded.

I wouldn't call this €20 card anything special, and somehow I have
problems imagining that it pulls >2A. I may be wrong, obviously, but
I won't hunt down a 100W power supply just to confirm or reject the
claim. I guess a USB sound card will do too.

It's a shame that Terratec never replied to my inquiry about
voltages and power consumption.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

may the bluebird of happiness twiddle your bits.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net