[Soekris] New models?

Bob Camp soekris at cq.nu
Mon Dec 14 01:19:09 UTC 2009

HI

I am running a couple of different Atom boards and a slew of 5501's. They are *very* different animals.

With a CF card as the "disk", the 5501 is *much* lower power than any of the Atom's that I have here. Even with fans on them the Atom boards get hot to the touch. I have never seen a "hot to the touch" 5501.

With the Atom you get a bunch of extra peripherals like HD audio and video. Nice stuff, but that's more drivers to mess with. Fine if you need them, needless pain if you don't.

The 330 version of the Atom is a pretty powerful little beast and the boards will take 2 to 4 GB of RAM. They typically will take a number of SATA drives. Most have an enormous number of USB ports on them.

The 5501 will fit in a much smaller space and being fan-less it will tolerate dust and dirt a lot better. Build quality on the 5501 is *much* better than any of my Atom boards.

Cost wise, the Atom + RAM  (2G new) + disk (new) + enclosure (with good fans) + power supply is a bit more than the 5501 + CF.  You could tip it the other way with a used disk and 512 meg of ram.  Either way the cost is pretty similar.

Bottom line - I expect the Atom's to run for a few years in a dusty corner of the basement. I expect the 5501's to outlast them by a significant margin. On a cost / year basis the 5501 wins out *if* it can do the job you need to do.

Bob