[Soekris] new net5501 tech question (FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE SATA Boot issues)

David E. Cross david at wsg.net
Thu Dec 10 16:12:42 UTC 2009

Ok, I went to get a new drive, a WD Scorpio Blue 250G.  It works, with a
couple of funkiness issues.

1) The BIOS shows it as 137G (28 bit addressing issue?)
    FreeBSD however sees it as the full 250G.
   Am I at risk of data loss if FreeBSD uses 48bit addresses and the
chip is only 28bit?  Its been "awhile" since I've needed to deal with this

2) Its only showing up as UDMA33.  I am suspecting taht the 'SATA' port
is actually a PATA port with a SATA brdige.  If so, then the 80 pin
cable stuff is nonsense, and I can pump that up... right?

--
David E. Cross