[Soekris] net4801 ppp throughput?

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Wed Oct 29 15:49:08 UTC 2008

On 2008-10-27, Malcolm Herbert <mjch at mjch.net> wrote:
> I'm using a net4801 running OpenBSD 4.0 for a PPPoE link rather than
> my ADSL2+ modem. I am now using the modem in bridge mode as the port
> forwarding code in the firmware is rather lacking in features and I'm
> quite familiar with pf under OpenBSD as I've used it elsewhere ...

I would suggest:

1. upgrade OpenBSD, newer versions have much better performance on 4801
2. use pppoe(4) (kernel pppoe) not pppoe(8) as it seems you're doing

I get line speed (600KB+/s) out of a 5501 for pppoe running OpenBSD,
4801 is slower but not enough slower that it would give you the speed
you see, there must be another problem.