[Soekris] net4801 ppp throughput?

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Wed Oct 29 13:49:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 09:11:02PM +1100, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
>I'm using a net4801 running OpenBSD 4.0 for a PPPoE link rather than
>my ADSL2+ modem. I am now using the modem in bridge mode as the port
>forwarding code in the firmware is rather lacking in features and I'm
>quite familiar with pf under OpenBSD as I've used it elsewhere ...
>
>When using the modem as the PPPoE originator my line appeared to support
>around 150KB/s sustained, however now that I am using the 4801 for PPPoE
>this has dropped to at best 30KB/s, but sustained of around 22KB/s

My 4801, also on openbsd can do a sustained 40KB/s (that is as fast as
my adsl goes - it can certainly go faster than this). I'm still on
openbsd 4.2 - but 4.0 is quite old now.

Have you tried it with a very simple pf.conf? Are you using kernel or
userland pppoe - that is the first thing I would look at (I use kernel
pppoe).

Mail me off-list if you'd like to see my pf.conf, which is not simple :-(

Cheers,
Jonathan