[Soekris] Using the Serial Port For Other Purposes

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Sat Oct 25 05:01:03 UTC 2008

I'm using a Net5501.  I have a HD Radio that is controlled through a
program I wrote that can talk to it over a regular serial port or
through a USB port if I use a USB/serial adaptor.

Right now I'm using it with the USB adaptor but I'd prefer to use the
serial port.  I've noticed, though, when I try to access it
through /dev/ttyS0 I don't get consistent results, which I would
suspect is due to that port also being used for the console.

Do I need to do anything special if I want to use the on board serial
port for something other than the null-modem cable?  Preferably I'd
like to be able to have something in my boot procedure that changes
this over so if I have to, I can always reboot with the null modem
cable on instead and could use the console directly if I wanted to.

I'm using Debian Etch on this system.

Thanks!

Hal