[Soekris] Can't communicate with net5501 using serial port

Andreas Schweigstill andreas at schweigstill.de
Thu Oct 23 09:34:38 UTC 2008

Hello!

Tim Bishop schrieb:
> Are you sure the cable is correct and working? Have you used it for
> any other similar applications?

I fully agree. Not all cables with two female SubD 9 connectors are
null-modem cables; there are also cables available with a straight
connection (1:1).

Some time ago I also was trying to establish a serial connection
between two devices which didn't work. Finally I found out that
a cable from an APC UPS sneaked into my box with standard cables...

For a null-modem cable you should check (with a multimeter) that
the following connections are made:

pin 2 - pin 3
pin 3 - pin 2
pin 5 - pin 5