[Soekris] NanoBSD on CF card

Bruce A. Mah bmah at acm.org
Fri Oct 17 14:52:46 UTC 2008

If memory serves me right, tokind wrote:
> I located some NanoBSD builds that are apparently compatable with my Net4501.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/nanobsd-soekris/README
>
> Question: These state that they are specifically for a 256M CF Card. Mine
> are 512M. When I dd one of these imaged to my CF card, will I only get 256M
> of usable space? Or will there be problems related to disk geometry or
> something?
>
> I do not know enough about what happens when you dd a filesystem to a raw
> device.

It will *probably* work.  Basically it'll work as if your 512MB card
only had 256MB on it (i.e. half of the card will get ignored).  Best
thing to do is just to try it (assuming that downloading the image is
not a problem for you).

You should look carefully at the README.  Note that these images are
over a year old; they're just snapshots of what I run (used to run) on
my net4501 and net4801 boxes at the time.  The reason I mention this is
that there are of course bug fixes and features in newer FreeBSD
versions that are not included in these images.

Bruce.