[Soekris] Installing Debian on the Net 5501

Peter J. Holzer hjp+soekris at wsr.ac.at
Wed Oct 15 10:31:21 UTC 2008

On 2008-10-15 12:19:25 +0200, Robin Kipp wrote:
> OK, this is really strange: I tried PXE booting again today and am
> getting results completely different from what I got yesterday. I now
> connected the eth cable to the first eth port to the left of the serial
> interface, here's what I got:

[...]
> PXE-E53: No boot filename received

[...]
> So, opviously the problem i s that it doesn't know which file to boot,
> this should be pxelinux.0. This file is in the folder I specified as the
> "base directory" in TFTP for Windows, but I can't find an option that
> lets me specify a boot file...

You have to set this on the DHCP server. I don't know which dhcp server
you use, but with ISC dhcpd the option you write something like

    filename "pxelinux.0";

into the config file. (You also need 'next-server ip.ad.dre.ss' to tell
the client where the tftp server is, I guess you already have that)

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Am Anfang war der Bug und der
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | Verantwortliche sprach:
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |    -- Clemens Zauner in dcii