[Soekris] 5501 available in the US?

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Sat Oct 11 04:58:23 UTC 2008

On Saturday 11 October 2008, C. Bensend wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
>    I've heard mention on the list that a new batch of 5501s has
> hit the shops.  Are any available in the US?
>
>    The US online shop shows them all out of stock still, but the
> Europe shop shows them available.  I'd really like to get a
> 5501-70 with case on order, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at a
> several week or month delay.

I ordered 2 back in mid-September and they arrived sometime last week (I
think -- could have been late the previous week).  Their front page on
the site says they had manufacturing difficulties.  My guess is they
had to fill the backorders first before advertising them as in stock.

If you want to get one ASAP, order it anyway, even with it showing as
out of stock and they'll ship it when it comes in.  You can email them
and ask when their next shipment is due.  They were pretty close in
their estimate (within 4-5 days) when I asked them about it.

Hal