[Soekris] Soekris Alternatives

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Oct 10 22:18:39 UTC 2008

Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 01:38:50PM -0700, Sargun Dhillon wrote:
>> Well, In my mind Soekris has lost its reputation. I am asking because I
>> assume the people here know this field. I am willing to move back to
>> Soekris once they "prove" they are a business solution yet again.

I'm not an especially repeat customer so I don't feel particulary
entitled to notification of problems with hardware I'm not buying but I
will say working with a manufacturer over the lifecycle of a long lived
embedded product can be challenging... parts change based on
availability, you get repeatability by buying more at once than you need
but that has a cost etc.

>> The things which are lacking in the BIOS:
>> -Breaks some bootloaders
>> -Remote flashing support

Actually I gotta dispute that. Serial OOB is a more than adequate way to
flash the bios remotely...

>> -Remote "debug" support
>
> I've yet to see any BIOS that fit's your list.
>
>> The interface is fairly annoying too.

I've worked with contractors on the bios implementations of some of my
employers embedded platforms and I've got to say there are way more
annoying bioses that the one present on the soekris... I will say bios
development is hard, x86 assembler sucks as does working in real mode,
and the best that you can hope for is sufficient correctness that you
can get yourself into an os as quick as possible.

> In which way?
> It's comannd line based and runs over RS232.
> What are you missing?
> That it is not scriptable in FORTH?
> That it is not colored?

I'm working with a baseband managment controller right now (for a much
larger system) that would be quite attractive from the perspective of
remote management unfortunately it has a BOM that would be comical if
added to the price of a soekris.