[Soekris] console hang/pxebooting OpenBSD 4.4

Emilio Perea eperea at walkereng.com
Tue Nov 4 00:05:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 02:03:52PM -0500, jmc wrote:
> i have a couple of 5501s i'm attempting to upgrade. `upgrade' is
> probably not the correct term in the OpenBSD world. i'm installing 4.4
> over 4.3.

Just last night I did a fresh 4.4 install on a 4801 (using my 5501 as
dhcp/tftp/ftp server).  Did not have any problems with the pxe boot, so
can't help you there.

However, aren't you making things too difficult for yourself?  If you
have a working 4.3 setup, all you need is to copy the new bsd.rd, use
the current boot loader to boot that, and upgrade (right word) via ftp.
Get the etc44.tgz and use it for a sysmerge after the first reboot.  If
you have enough room for the install sets, you can even do a "live
upgrade".  I did it on my 5501 and one of the servers at work without
any problems and with less than five minutes downtime.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trouble-shooting this problem,
since that would probably help other people as well, just saying that
it's not necessary in order to upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4.