[Soekris] RAM (sort of) on a mini-PCI?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Sep 23 20:11:25 UTC 2007

Now that Joel pointed me to a nice storage solution on a mini-PCI, I
have one more question.

Is there something like RAM on a mini-PCI?
I know that technically, it's not possible, but this is how I imagine it
could work.

A normal RAM module (64 MB, or more - the more, the better) would be
installed on a mini-PCI module, together with an IDE or a SATA controller.
Thus, the operating system would see this RAM as a disk. This way, we
could use it as a really fast swap.

Of course, a power off would mean that the contents of this disk would
be erased - but that's OK, as the intention of this module would be to
use it as a fast swap partition only.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://blog.wpkg.org