[Soekris] 4801 thats stopped responding

Iustin Pop iusty at k1024.org
Wed Mar 28 05:14:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 03:56:03PM -0400, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:

> > On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 10:58:43PM -0400, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> > > 	So my final option is a cold boot? Anything to do for future
> > > times this happens?
> >
> > Well, I don't know about FreeBSD, but on Linux I use a watchdog daemon
> > in combination with the hardware support present in the soekris. So, if
> > the OS is really hung and the daemon doesn't get to run, the hardware
> > will reboot the machine. Which, while not nice, is better than just
> > having it stay there and do nothing.
> >
> Hi,
>
> 	Thanks.... I looked into this at one point, but if memory
> serves me (AND IT USUALLY DOESN'T NOWADAYS) I had it set for like
> 30 seconds and it would reboot in the middle of running...

Hmm, never happened to me (on a lightly loaded 4801). I don't remember
exactly what time I have set, but it's anyway under 60 seconds. Make
sure you give the watchdog daemon high priority - either nice to -20 or
run it as realtime task, otherwise it may be preempted by other high
priority tasks.

iustin