[Soekris] Clear screen on boot - Have been experimenting - here are the results

Mr. Bill bill at stsx.org
Thu Mar 29 01:10:57 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 07:17 -0400, Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 09:22 -0500, Ted Phelps wrote:
>

> > Don't tip/cu have any way of logging output to a file?  Certainly
> > minicom does and I've used it in precisely the situation you describe.
> >

> No, cu(1) doesn't. When I first started using cu(1), I spent quite a bit
> of time looking for that elusive "serial output capture" option (manual,
> internet, /usr/share/doc,..). In the end I found out that I could simply
> redirect cu(1)'s output via the shell. So when it comes to cu(1),
> mainatainers should really stop using terms like "logging" and
> "capturing", and use "redirection" instead. That would be much clearer,
> and much les intimidating to "newbies". A simple example also wouldn't
> hurt:
>
> # cu -l /dev/tty00 -s 19200 | tee soekris.out

I caught quite a lot of heat after posting this message, so I decided to
try things out and see exactly what does and doesn't work. Here are my
findings so far. Should be of interest to a few Soekris users.

Bill

Capturing output from the serial console

There are various ways to capture cu(1)'s output to a file. The
"official" way is to set the "record" (abbreviated: rec) internal
variable after starting cu(1). This holds the name of a file to write
the output to. Then recording is started with the "script" (sc)
variable. The "beautify" (be) variable can be used to suppress output
of control characters, _to an extent_. Variables are set using the "~s"
escape, which is immediately converted to a "~[set]" prompt. Entering
"all" after the prompt will make cu(1) show the current state of all
internal variables.

# cu -l /dev/tty00 -s 19200
Connected
~s                <------------ user input, converted to a prompt
~[set] all
beautify                           baudrate=19200
dialtimeout=60                     eofread=
eofwrite=                          eol=
escape=~                           exceptions=
force=^P                           framesize=1024
host=cu19200                       log=/var/log/aculog
phones=                            prompt=^J
!raise                             raisechar=
record=                            remote=
!script                            !tabexpand
!verbose                           SHELL=/bin/ksh
HOME=/root                         !echocheck
disconnect=                        tandem
linedelay=0                        chardelay=0
etimeout=0                         !rawftp

!halfduplex                        !localecho
parity=none                        !hardwareflow
linedisc=0                         direct
~s[set] be
~s[set] rec=soekris.out
~s[set] sc

The file is created if it doesn't already exist. If it does, it is
overwritten. The output looks rather compressed, and may be difficult to
read. An alternative is to use shell rdirection:

# cu -l /dev/tty00 -s 19200 | tee soekris.out

This will make cu(1) write to a file named "soekris.out" as well as to
standard output. See tee(1).

The resulting layout is more representative of the actual screen layout.
It still contains end-of-line characters and a few others (shown in vi
as ^M etc.), but after these have been removed it will look pretty neat.
Using script(1) will result in something similar:

# script soekris.out
# cu -l /dev/tty00 -s 19200

In both cases, setting the "beautify" variable makes no difference.