[Soekris] 4801 thats stopped responding

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Tue Mar 27 01:51:31 UTC 2007

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 10:04:41AM -0400, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	I have a 4801 I bought about a year + 1/2 ago. It
> > runs FreeBSD off a CF card with a USB flash to help it. It
> > ran great for 10 months, but over the last 8 months its
> > been "locking up" on me. I put that in quotes because I'm
> > not sure if its the OS or the unit. I do see POWER on
> > and the NET light blinking. No ERROR or DISK. When I try
> > to serial console in, I get nothing.
>
> Sounds very much like a power supply failure, this is the most common
> reason for such a failure - in your case the power led blinking even
> underlines this point.

	POWER is on solid, its NET thats blinking....

> > 	Is there any way anyone knows to find out if the
> > OS has gone south, or the unit is not operating properly.
>
> AFAIK the OS has no way to influence the power led, it could still a
> problem with the power logic on the board however, but from my
> expirience this is very unlikely.

	No, I was looking to find out if there was a way I could
send a sequence to see if I could get its attention at any level.
Sort of like modems when you do "+++". Or there was some machine
I used that if I used CTRL-T it would tell me what process it was
working on at the time.

			Thanks, Tuc