[Soekris] Clear screen on boot

RW glisten at witworx.com
Sat Mar 24 06:57:36 UTC 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 07:17:28 -0400, Mr. Bill wrote:

>On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 09:22 -0500, Ted Phelps wrote:
>

>> Don't tip/cu have any way of logging output to a file?  Certainly
>> minicom does and I've used it in precisely the situation you describe.
>>

>No, cu(1) doesn't. When I first started using cu(1), I spent quite a bit
>of time looking for that elusive "serial output capture" option (manual,
>internet, /usr/share/doc,..).
8><----<snip!>

You must have had lousy man pages for cu or it was a lousy version of
cu.
Look in man for the ~s command used to set variables once connected and
look through the variables for "be" (beautify), "record" (=filename)
and "script".

If your manpage doesn't have these try hitting ~? whilst connected to
see what escape commands are valid and ~v to show all values of
variables if they are set.

"~s be" will set beautify to TRUE (dropping unprintable chars from
record file)
"~s !be" will turn beautify off.

Also note that there is a way (~C) to fork a child process to do stuff
like X-modem.

cu is olde worlde Unix. It is intimidating but potent and requires
users to have a good memory of some organic variety. You choose: grey
matter or ink on paper. Everybody needs his own subset of commands
noted well.

If you need a good manpage try http://tinyurl.com/2bh8n7

Good luck.

Rod/

A consultant is someone who's called in when someone has painted himself into a corner.  He's expected to levitate his client out of that corner.

-The Sayings of Chairman Morrow. 1984.