[Soekris] pxeboot of 4801 from pfsense hangs + paging/scrolling errors

Tenzen toddenzen+1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 15:46:55 UTC 2007

Hi David,

Thanks again for your write-ups.  With them, and help here, I'm making progress!

The speculation (as yet, unconfirmed by a developer) on irc is that
the latest pfsense (v >= 1.01) used FreeBSD 6.2's standard /boot
files.

But, booting (sort of) LiveCD 1.0.1, i see:

	FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p10 #0: Sun Oct 29 01:06:20 UTC 2006
		sullrich at builder.livebsd.com:/usr/obj.pfSense/usr/src/sys/pfSense.6

So either it *is* v6.1, not 6.2, or this header is outdated ...

So, experimenting a bit, I've:

 1. cp'd the pfsense distro files to a writable partition
 2. mounted that point @ tftp server, and,
 3. per your suggestion, replaced the distro's files with your

      FreeBSD-6.1_Files/loader.gz
      FreeBSD-6.1_Files/pxeboot.gz

Now, at:

 > boot f0

I no longer see the weird paging/scrolling I'd mentioned.

I do see the FreeBSD boot screen, and the boot process starts, and
progresses a fair bit.

It eventually stops at,

  sio1: type 16550A
  Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
  Fast IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.
  ad0: 38154MB <HTS541040G9AT00 MB2OA60A> at ata0-master UDMA33
  Trying to mount root from cd9660:/dev/iso9660/pfSense
  Trying to mount root from nfs:
  NFS ROOT: 10.0.0.6:/private/tftpboot
  sis0: link state changed to UP

which I suspect is related to your comment,

  "Optional TFTP support: The pxeboot program can be compiled to fetch
the loader via TFTP as well as NFS. NFS is the default, but you can
add TFTP support by doing the following:"

Guessing that the solution might be in your provided,

  http://www.ultradesic.com/pub/FreeBSD-6.2_Files/tftpboot.tar.gz

I downloaded/extracted THAT to /tmp, and then:

  cp /tmp/tftpboot/boot/pxeboot /private/tftpboot/boot/pxeboot
  cp /tmp/tftpboot/boot/loader  /private/tftpboot/boot/loader

and rebooted the soekris.

But, at:

 > boot f0

It stops at the same place:

  sio1: type 16550A
  Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
  Fast IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.
  ad0: 38154MB <HTS541040G9AT00 MB2OA60A> at ata0-master UDMA33
  Trying to mount root from cd9660:/dev/iso9660/pfSense
  Trying to mount root from nfs:
  NFS ROOT: 10.0.0.6:/private/tftpboot
  sis0: link state changed to UP

Is there something else I need configure/change?

Thank you.

--Tenzen