[Soekris] comBIOS update failure; connected but can't upload. help?

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Wed Mar 21 22:51:40 UTC 2007

> The net4801 has two serial ports too.  Are you suggesting swapping
> port assignments, and the port were the comBIOS is listening, between
> the internal and external *serial* ports?
>
> I am not an expert at all, but I find this feature "dangerous".

That's what I was thinking of, since it would be an easy way to
prevent OS output from interfering with external devices (which has
been asked for occasionally).

> What happens if someone moves the console to the internal port and there
> is not a terminal connected to it?  As there is only a DB9 connector
> (at least on the net4801!) recovering the external console port after
> a mistake will be challenging.

That's true. Ok, I'll revise my suggestion; it would be useful
to be able to move the (bootloader/OS) console redirect to the other
port. Less dangerous since comBIOS is still available on DE9, and
a combination of fastboot and changing baudrate takes care of
pretty much all opportunities for interference with the BIOS.