[Soekris] Feasibility of modem based Nagios monitoring on a Soekris product

Steven Murdoch soekris+Steven.Murdoch at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 21 18:54:14 UTC 2007

I'm investigating the possibility of building a Nagios on Linux
monitoring device around one of the Soekris products. Management of
the device will be via Ethernet, but for this application the
monitoring will be via a dial-up modem.

Can anyone give some intuition of whether the 133 MHz 45xx would be
adequate, or whether the 266 MHz 48xx is needed, or do I need more
power than that? The box would be running Linux, Apache, Nagios
pinging/tracerouting a few dozen hosts and a sshd. Results would be
logged to a CF card. There would be only 1 or 2 simultaneous users.

I can't find any mention of modems on the Soekris site. The mailing
list has a few mentions, but is anyone aware of any similar solution
having been built or can give any suggestions on how best to proceed?
At least for the prototype I would far prefer saving time over money.

Serial modems still seem to be around, but tend to be pretty big. USB
ones are cheaper and smaller but I am unsure of Linux compatibility.

Then there are PCI modems, which are much cheaper, but will they fit
in the slot, be supplied enough power and will they work with Linux?

The 45xx series appears to allow PCMCIA as an option. I haven't been
able to find Mini-PCI with an external cable for the 48xx series.

Thanks,
Steven Murdoch.

--
w: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/sjm217/