[Soekris] RFC: soekris with directly attached stroage as home server

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Thu Mar 15 22:08:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

while energy costs are rising soekris provides an ideal platform to
reduce power costs.

With the upcoming net5501 with up to 600Mhz and up to 1G RAM, it would
be good replacement for an inhouse server doing a bit of mails and
web and this and that and a bit more with some freebsd jails while
still being 99% idle most of the day.

The only thing that I'd like is to have two hard disks attached to
that. eSATA seems the way to go (no USB is not really an option).
While the net5501 already has 1 SATA port I'd prefer to have some
kind of (|soft|software)-RAID. For now I guess the only option
would be to find a PCI card with two eSATA ports that will work
with the upcoming soekris.

Why soekris and not one of the many "home-enduser-NAS Appliances"
that pop up everywhere these days?

- I like my data.
- I like my data.
- I like my data.
- I like the serial console with no need for keyb+vga of the
    soekris; I like a CF with images for the base system; PXE
    boot; it just works and is great from the setup and management
    point of view.
- I don't want some linux filesystem + smaba + NFS + some special
    3rd party drivers for special hardware in a black box where I
    have no chance for any recovery, ...
- I'd like to run my normal applications on the box too and not
    only use it as a NAS appliance.
- I have done some research but not found (too m)any other
    products in an acceptable price range that would meat the above
    requirements and specs (no pci slot, no CF slot, no low power
    device, way too expensive, only keyb+vga, ...)
- you got the idea...

Why two disks/some kind of RAID?
Well I am running soekris boxes with one 24-7 HDD but there are no
often changing (important) files on that like mailboxes...
I still have them in pairs but at home I'd like to just have 1 box
and do not want to lose the data because of a single disk problem.

Why external disks? I don't want:
- (too) special soekris cases
- to think about heat problems
- fans
but still be able to plug them into another box
and ...

Maybe more people are interested in something like this and have
ideas/suggestions/...?