[Soekris] Soekris BIOS: "enter monitor mode" feature request

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Thu Mar 15 09:34:15 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am really happy with soekris BIOS on serial console, with watchdogs
with break to debugger and reboot from the OS, etc.

Lately I found that there was a point where I had to power cycle the
soekris and could not get myself out of just with software and the
serial console.

I had put a new compact flash card into the soekris and missed the
BIOS for PXE boot so I got one of the "operating system missing"
messages of the day like:
 	DISK BOOT FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
from the boot sector of the flash.

At that point there was no other escape than power cycling. If sitting
because that seems to be the shibboleth on PC.
Would it be possible to have some kind of "hotkey" combination on the
serial console to achive something like this or "to enter monitor
mode" (that works at least as long as the BIOS is used for IO)?