[Soekris] SuSE 10.2 install success...

Eric Knudstrup eknuds-soekris at knudstrup.org
Mon Mar 5 08:28:06 UTC 2007

Okay, it took me far too long to figure this out, so I'm going to detail this
for the Soekris archives.  I haven't had to build a kernel in such a long
time...
Thanks to Mr. Umhunhum for his assistance.
As I'm writing this my machine is fscking the hard drive.  I had to move it
around so much between my laptop, the USB carrier, and the board that I hope
I didn't shorten its lifetime.
Here's my menu.lst:
(none):/boot/grub # cat menu.lst
serial --unit=0 --speed=19200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1 --dumb
terminal serial

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sun Mar  4 22:33:21 PST 2007
default 0
timeout 30
##YaST - generic_mbr
#gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 10.2
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default root=/dev/hdc2 showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default

title 2.6.18.2-34k1
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34k1 console=ttyS0,19200,8n1 root=/dev/hda2
showopts

I had to put the serial parameters into the menu.lst file to get grub to not
come up garbled.  Notice the "dumb" parameter.  I am using minicom as a
terminal program.
In order for the system to come up with a ramdisk I had to configure the
kernel for built in IDE and EXT FS support.
I also removed support for VGA terminals.  Damn, I just noticed that I forgot
to change inittab.  Back to the USB carrier for the hard drive.
I'll post my kernel config later.
Please post any questions :).

Eric