[Soekris] Ram Disk based linux distro ?

Bill Maas bill at stsx.org
Mon Jan 29 08:32:46 UTC 2007

Hi,

why on earth go from OpenBSD "back" to Linux? OpenBSD is small, easy to
install and use, highly combat proven, and it's "run from MFS"
capabilities are practically off-the-shelf. And the MFS feature is very
well documented (www.kernel-panic.it a.o.).

Linux doesn't seem to have any flashboot-like project running, at least
not that I'm aware of. Which means you will probably have to build a
custom installation, which in turn means ldd-ing your binaries (a
nightmare in Linux - try setting up a simple Linux chrooted environment
in 5 minutes without using busybox), endless config fiddling and testing
etc. Of course you would be complying with that famous Penguin Paradigm:

"Why keep simple what can be done the hard way?".

If you insist on using Linux, maybe try using Debian with an NFS root.
You'll need a second box for that one, though. But nothing will touch
the CF card unless you explicitly tell it to do so. The Debian PXE boot
procedure is also very well documented by the way. Debian would be my
distro of choice if I had to create a "small Linux", Linux From Scratch
might also be an option in your case. I'd still stick with OpenBSD
myself. If you haven't been using it before: it's incredibly
straightforward and easy, and extremely well documented. Well worth the
effort.

Bill Maas

On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 22:22 -0500, Jaime Vargas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a linux distro that could be PXE booted and which
> the installation never touches the Flash Card. Also I need it to
> include the "prism2_srec" tool, so that I can mass-upgrade some
> radios using senao cards with old firmware.  The radios have a BSD
> base OS in the flash card.
>
> Could someone here recommend such distro? I am looking for something
> similar to flashboot (http://www.mindrot.org/projects/flashboot/),
> but on the linux side.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Jaime Vargas

"Incompetence is our watchword" - John Peel