[Soekris] CF Master/Slave issue workaround on 4801

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.net
Sun Oct 23 06:55:24 UTC 2005

Zac Bowling wrote:
> yeah. Exactly.. a lot has been on the mailing about bad CF cards that
> always force to being slave, but if you do that you can get around it
> and boot right off your slave.
>
> I got around it by setting up the bios to boot from 81 first and boot
> strapping lilo so it would install on the device but with with the
> root as /dev/hdb.. seems to solve it all.

Does this work even if you use a CF card that isn't "buggy", like the
Lexar? I want to be able to swap cards without regard to vendor.

What's the nature of the bug? Is it that some CF cards use a "cable
select" feature that's buggy or non-standard? I've sometimes had
problems with cable select even with regular hard drives, so I've always
avoided it when possible.

Phil