[Soekris] Read-Only Linux for 4801

steve davidson steve.m.davidson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 08:26:37 UTC 2005

I am using the buildRoot toolkit as the basis for my 4801 appliance:

http://buildroot.uclibc.org/

Lightweight, well-tested, and well supported.  Buildroot contains
busybox (http://busybox.net/), which you may already be familiar with.

If you are looking for something a bit more plug-and-play, take a look
at soentoo:
http://soentoo.sourceforge.net.

One of my core criteria in OS selection for my appliance was platform
independence - though I am extremely satisfied with the 4801 as a
platform, I needed to keep my options open; this means
cross-compilation was a must, and buildroot fits the bill nicely *in
my case*.

Feel free to contact me offline for more information.

HTH,

Steve