[Soekris] Sanity check a solar/battery setup

Zac Morris zac at zacwolf.com
Fri Oct 14 18:02:10 UTC 2005

I'm wondering if folks on this list might be willing to sanity check a
power configuration for me:

I've built a Stompbox, using a 4521.

I'm using a CarNetrix DC/DC power regulator to power the 4521(12v) and a
GPS module (5v).

The CarNetrix has three power inputs:
12v CONSTANT wired directly to the battery.
12v IGNITION that controls the on/off state (powered=unit-on
no-power=unit-off)
12v "PULSE" (off/on/off) that override the IGNITION state to toggle
power on/off
When "on" and the power on CONSTANT drops below 11v the unit is turned
off, and requires a "pulse" to reset.

I've got an 18w Solar Array, that's hooked to the vehicle's battery via
a Solar Regulator to prevent over charging AND it has a day/night
switch(hard switching logic, NOT photo-resistive "flicker") that
output's 12v during the "Night".

I have the Solar Regulator's day/nite output powering a relay.  Thus I
have two 12v power outlets from the relay.  One for "day"(relay not
powered) and one for "night" (relay powered).

I have the "day" output wired into the "IGNITION" input of the
CarNetrix, thus it turns on the CarNetrix during the "Day" and then
turns it off during the "Night"; this is regardless of the vehicle being
on/off.

I work from home so most of the time, the vehicle is parked.  I usually
only drive it on the weekends.

So the question is:
Is the 18w solar panel (it's mounted on top of the vehicle and sits in a
full sun area) going to be enough to power the CarNetrix, the GPS
module, and the 4521-receiving EVDO and pumping WiFi, without dropping
the main battery below 11V figuring avg 10 hours "on" for five days at a
time?

Any guesses on how long it can ran in this day/night cycle without
drawing the main battery down to cutoff point?  I know there's a LOT of
variables in that question but is it likely to get me through the five days?

THANKS for any info anyone is willing to give
-Zac Morris

Parts:
Stompbox: http://www.stompboxnetworks.com
WiFi card: http://metrix.net/metrix/products/radios/minipci/NL-2511MP.html