[Soekris] interference from two radios - revisited

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Oct 13 11:57:54 UTC 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 11:50 PM, Mitja Muženič wrote:

> Hi!
>

> I've taken the liberty of forwarding this to you as you seem to be
> the most
> authoritative person on WiFi on Soekris mailing list and my

comments in-line

> Regards, Mitja
>
> (probably Netgate's future client :)

sounds about like what I'd expect.   for the Yanks/Brits in the
audience, 30cm is approximately 12".

> Jim's explanation on why two AP's in close proximity won't work
> assumes (as
> I understand it) free space around the two AP's and the antenna on
> or near
> the AP itself. In my case, I'll probably have two antennas, one on
> each wing
> of the building, and the signal loss in structure is so big that
> the signal
> from one AP antenna is undetectable (as far as my measuring
> equipment can
> tell) at the other location. I wonder how this changes the situation?

my testing (on other 'mother' boards) indicates very little (if any)
leakage between the cards
on a non-RF path, so, in this case, should you actually find that
you've got very low (or zero)
signal left from radio 'a' at the antenna for radio 'b', you'll be
"cooking with gas".
(translation, it will be fine).

> The second problem is that for architectural reasons the AP
> equipment must
> be in close proximity (one telco cabinet) and the two antennas
> separated by
> a longish cable, one into each wing. I'll be having approx. 10m of
> 0.5dB/m
> cable from AP (net4526 running OpenBSD + 5354 Aries MP in 11b mode)
I think you'll find that the Atheros cards work better under FreeBSD
or linux.

If you're going to run 11b-only, why not just use a pair of 2511MP
cards?

> to the
> antenna (4 dBi omni). My question is: assuming no interference from
> the
> radiating elements - antennas (they should be in decently shielded
> areas of
> the building) - , how much leakage will there be from the soekris
> boxes in
> physical vicinity?

Very little.  Likely too little to matter, but I never directly
measured it on a soekris board.

> How will this affect the working of two AP's? Do I even
> gain anything by shielding the two cards in separate soekris boxes
> or can I
> simply use both in the same case, thus saving the cost of one net4526?

I'd use one box, personally.

> The third problem is that I've decided to go with ath(4) based
> cards in
> order to try Reyk Floeter's latest hostapd(8) tools to help with
> roaming.

roaming is driven by the STA (client) in any case, so this seems of
little value.

Heck, put the cards on the same channel, set the ESSIDs the same and
try it, I think you
might find that it works really well.